Is Armenia in Europe
Wikijunior Europe / Armenia
Armenia is a small country east of Europe and is located in the continent of Asia. Its neighbors are Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Iran.
The capital is Yerevan (also called Yerevan). Other big cities in Armenia are Gyumri and Vanadzor. The currency is that (Armenian) Dram.
Armenia is one of the oldest civilizations in the world. For the first time the name is used in 521 BC. mentioned. Over the centuries, Armenia was conquered by many peoples: Persians, Greeks, Romans, the Byzantine Empire and finally the Ottoman Empire.
Since the Ottoman Empire fell into disrepair in 1800, Armenia came increasingly under Russian influence. The eastern part has belonged to the Russian Empire since 1829, the western part remains with the Ottoman Empire. During the First World War, a large part of the Armenian population in the Ottoman Empire was expelled and murdered. It is estimated that there were up to 1.5 million deaths, so that the "genocide of the Armenians" is spoken of. In 1921 it was finally decided between Turkey and the Soviet Union that the western part would remain with Turkey.
In 1936 the Armenian Soviet Socialist Republic is formed as part of the Soviet Union. This gained independence in 1991 as the Republic of Armenia. There are disputes with Azerbaijan over territorial disputes. Relations with Turkey have only been slowly improving since 2009.
Landscape and climate
Armenia covers a land area of 29,800 km². It is a very pronounced mountainous country.
There are many mountain lakes. The largest is Lake Sevan in the northeast of the country. The Aras River is the largest and longest river in Armenia.
The climate is mostly dry and is also characterized by long, hot summers and normal winters. The sun shines very often in Armenia, which is responsible for the dry climate; Nevertheless, there are also heavy rains, which usually occur in autumn.
The population is around 3 million.
The vast majority (98%) are Armenians; the largest minorities are Russians and Kurds. Accordingly, almost all speak the official language Armenian, the minorities their languages Russian and Kurmanji. Russian is still widely used as a second language.
In 301 Armenia declared Christianity the state religion, making it the oldest Christian country in the world. Even today, Christianity is the largest practiced religion (Armenian Apostolic Christians). There are also Muslims and Russian Orthodox Christians.
The largest university in the country is the "Yerevan State University", which was established in Yerevan in 1919.
Tourism has become very important to the Armenian economy in the last five years. Lake Sevan is one of the major landmarks and a very popular tourist attraction. You can also visit the numerous monasteries and churches or very old castles.
With the help of Wikipedia there is more information about Armenia, for example:
- What are the laws of magnetism
- What is the citizenship of the place of birth
- What American TV shows do you watch
- How long do hobbits live
- How does it look at NSIT
- How does Rejuvonus Anti-Aging work
- Do the Vietnamese have languages of honor
- Which newspapers have great influence in America?
- Who impressed you the most
- How can I cancel my current ticket?
- What should I do to get over the regrets
- How is the Airrath Aviation Academy doing
- How many people donate to Wikipedia
- What are the topics in computer science
- What are some unusual European traditions
- Why did Mahatma Gandhi choose nonviolence
- Are there any Korean Christians in Korea
- Which airport code is SCL
- India becomes a fascist nation
- How do stockbrokers provide market liquidity
- Makes PRS better strats than fenders
- Is narcissism a threat to democracy
- How many floors are there in a tower?
- Why is India so obsessed with religion
- What do Indians love about Quora
- Why aren't they legalizing marijuana at the federal level?
- How can I learn to appreciate sake
- Is Enrique Iglesias gay
- There will be JCPenneys in 5 years
- Is Phoenix a sustainable city
- How bad is the pollution in Bangalore
- I punish my son for vaping
- What's wrong with convolutional neural networks
- How to Write Chinese Poems